How often have you found yourself really amazed by reading the information that is not valid anymore? The answer is probably “Never.”
For example, if you search for “best online casinos in the UK,” you probably want to read about the best online casinos that are popular right now and not the ones from 2 years ago.
Unless you are using that outdated information as a supporting fact for the updates, the chance of you being impressed is zero. Not surprisingly, your blog readers are just like you.
So, yes, fresh content matters A LOT. According to Orbit Media, bloggers who update their old posts are twice likely to get strong results than those who don’t.
That’s because Google loves fresh content as much as the readers do. In 2011, Google rolled out an algorithm change which focuses on providing its users with the most recent and up to the minute answers. Since Google’s priority is our priority, we have to look for different ways to please the mighty search engine.
Meanwhile, in the rapidly-evolving iGaming industry, the updates and news are rolling out every day. It is a shame if you can’t make the best out of all the available information on the internet. That’s why we want to show you how to keep your iGaming content fresh and engaging in 7 simple ways. Let’s begin!
1. Make your entire site fresher
A website that publishes new content regularly ranks higher than the abandoned ones. That’s obviously not a new trick but the number of new pages added to a website over a certain period of time is definitely a ‘freshness score’ for Google.
Another factor is the ratio of new pages added to the total number of pages on a site. If you are publishing new posts regularly, you don’t really have to worry about it.
2. Revive your old content smartly
We keep talking about freshness, but it is not always about that ‘new kid on the block’. Old content with new updates can rank higher than completely new ones because of its higher ‘Page Authority’ and ‘Page Age.’ (To learn more about this topic, do check out “How to rank higher on Google Search Results | A Beginner’s Guide (Part 2).” Think of it as a cool wise old guy who can still mingle with kids.
Updating the articles can be quite a bit of work but don’t get too overwhelmed by it. Simply start with articles that have a lot of traffic and slowly work on the less popular ones. It will make your life much simpler.
We will later talk more about the types of iGaming content that you can keep updating as time passes.
3. The content revision twist: frequency and amount
Revising old content is GREAT but there is always a twist to such a simple trick, in this case, there are two twists.
Content that is edited more frequently is considered to be ‘fresher’ than the one that is modified once in a few years. Another twist here is that there has to be a significant change in a blog post (either a large number of changes or changes made to many different parts of that post) or otherwise the minor tweaks might easily be ignored by search engines.
4. Quality always matters
Being fresh doesn’t always mean it is the best. Low-quality content will not rank higher than well-written posts just because it has been recently updated or edited. You must focus on creating good quality content that aligns with your readers’ interest for higher traffic and better engagement rate.
In a list of search results, if a significant number of users click on a particular link and spend longer time on that page, this may indicate that this result is fresher and more relevant than the others.
MOZ has explained this mechanism simply in this diagram:
To make this example more relevant to our iGaming niche, you can replace “2016 Bus Schedules” with maybe “Best online casinos in Germany 2019.” You get my point.
5. Passing on fresh links
Not all freshness signals are limited to content within a page. Generally, receiving new links from other pages indicates that the information provided is relevant and useful to other people.
What’s interesting here is that it is even better to receive more backlinks from other fresh pages than stale ones. In short, fresher links give fresher value.
At the same time, an unusually high rate of new linking activity in a short amount of time is usually regarded as spam. That’s why it is best to avoid such unhealthy SEO behaviors and build links that grow naturally over time.
6. Look for articles with potential
Knowing how to keep your blog updated is not the same as finding out which types of articles to keep updating. That’s why we have compiled a list of iGaming content to keep your blog as fresh as mint:
- Sports events – live scores, latest results of a match, odds of the game, or football game reviews are some high-potential information that can bring in a lot of traffic organically to your website.
- Laws and Regulations – Each country has very different laws for online gambling and no law is less complicated than the other. With more and more countries allowing online gambling bit by bit, people are very curious about when they will be able to play in their own country. By keeping an eye on (even the slightest changes of) these legal battlegrounds, you can use that information to have the most up-to-date facts on your website.
- Wins & Losses – This is one type of content that can always be updated as time goes by. There is always a lucky person who will go back home with more prize money that has ever recorded. This, sadly, can be the other way round, too. Either way, people like reading such fun facts. So, there goes your winning jackpot for fresh content.
- Launches – There is always a new iGaming operator or a new online gambling game being launched every now and then. If you can follow these updates and write about them, you are on top of your fresh content game.
- Events – End of the year means it is time to give out awards to online casino operators and affiliates who have excelled in their business. Apart from the award-giving ceremonies, there are conferences for industry-wide updates and upcoming trends or those organized solely for affiliates.
7. Spread the news
If you have updated your old blog posts don’t be shy to get your word out there. Promote those articles on social media and via email newsletters just like you’d do for the new ones. Regardless of the channels, Google will pick up fresh links as fresh signals and score those updated pages higher.
By keeping your iGaming content fresh and up-to-date, it will not only please the readers but also help you rank higher in SERPs. Now, it’s time for YOU to go and work on those tricks to get the attention you deserve!
How did you like May Thawdar Oo’s blog post? Let us know in the comments if you have anything to add, have another content idea for iGaming blog posts, or just want to say “hello.” 🙂